The Easel

Charting the Art Adviser’s Rise in the Art World

The richest 1% of Sotheby’s clients buy as much art as the remaining 99%. Such a concentration of buying power is luring large art advisers into greater specialization. Besides advising, some are now investing as principals – just like investment banks. Other agents may specialize in managing artists – a bit like sports stars. But if star artists like this emerging model, “what remains for the traditional dealer? “